Tuesday, August 22, 2017

Lights for our sensory space

Lightup
In my effort to turn our living/ family room into a sensory space/ room for my son Arif, one of the components that was missing was special lighting to provide visual sensory input. In today's post, I'd like to share with you some of the products that I've purchased and tried.

One of the first things I tried was to put up chain or fairy lights along a row of bookshelves. Here it is in action alongside my glowing essential oil diffuser. It provides a warm glow, but it isn't really interactive.

IMG_20170816_220134_HHT

SardalYou can get this battery-operated LED chain light, called Sardal, from Ikea Malaysia for RM12.90. Just a note though, it doesn't blink on and off.

But because it's battery operated, you can put it in places where you don't have sockets and you can do all kinds of things with it, like make a sensory light box.

While the chain lights can come in handy when I'm trying to search for something at night, but I don't want to disturb the kids by turning the light on, I wanted something more dynamic.

Fortunately, the next thing I found was this fibre optic LED light, which not only glows, but changes colour! I got it at Daiso for RM5.90, and like the Sardal shain light, it's battery operated.

IMG_20170819_182851

And how does it perform? Check out what it looks like in the dark! Look how it glows! But still, what I really wanted was a light that could create moving projections onto my ceiling...

VID_20170819_220915 

And I finally found it! Check out this LED starry sky projector! I've been looking for something like this for the longest time. In fact, my first purchase was a disco light bulb, which arrived broken, so I had to get a refund. But I kept looking and my perseverance paid off.

VID_20170821_212832
It's just what I've been looking for. Looks impressive doesn't it? But be warned, this projector is a little on the flimsy side, so it has to be handled with care. But, it does do the job well. It spins around and can change colour according to the setting you choose.

Light projection for our sensory space - snoring sound effect by my eldest son haha
As you can see, it looks very pretty when the room is totally dark! Now before I forget to mention it, this projector works on AAA batteries and also USB power banks. It comes with a short USB wire that you can hook up to a power bank or USB-compatible wall plug.

VID_20170821_212928
Needless to say, both my kids are mesmerised by this star projector. I'm not sure how long it will last, but I hope it lasts us for at least a few months! If you're interested in buying it, here's what you should search for on Lazada:

Screenshot_2017-08-21-21-41-39-424_com.lazada.android

And last, but not least, to further add to the atmosphere of the room, I enjoy putting on this relaxing delta waves music video from YouTube:


What else do you think I should add to our sensory space? Or what kind of light effects do you use in yours? Leave a comment below!

Now here's a look at the lights in action :) Bye and have a restful sleep tonight everyone!

VID_20170821_213120

No comments:

Welcome 2019: Time to Grow

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so so excited for 2019 and everything that it'll bring. I'm starting the year with gratefulness for...