Friday, April 29, 2016

My Ikea Hack: Display cabinet from Gnedby + Oxberg

As an avid collector of vintage kitchenalia, I'm always thinking about how best to display my collection. For a cost-effective and sleek cabinet, I've chosen to use white shelves from Ikea - Billy for the large pyrex pieces and Gnedy for the smaller ones. These tall and slim shelves help me to make the most out of my wall space while taking up less visual and floor space. However, my toddler had been attacking my books and my small pyrex pieces had been collecting dust. I needed to find a way to protect my books and my pyrex. Thankfully, I got the idea to use an Oxberg door (they are meant for Billy book shelves) with my Gnedbys. And here's how it turned out:

IMG_20160423_130844

I think it turned out really well, the Gnedby shelves have blended in with my Billy shelves even more! Here's a closer look. The Gnedbys shelves are ideal for cups, butter dishes, pixies and other small pyrex. If you collect cars, figurines or the like, this set up could work for you as well.


Gnedby & oxberg
Here's a look from the side.

IMG_20160423_130903
The Oxberg door won't fit into the existing holes in a Gnedby, but it's easy enough for you to just screw the door in place.


IMG_20160423_130914
Here's a close-up of one of the two hinges. 

IMG_20160423_130830

I'm really pleased with how my cabinet turned out. I wish I had more wall space, I would love to have more of these!

2 comments:

Anne said...

Hey there!
We have the same kind of hack in mind, and have even bought the doors, but they are so heavy that we are wondering how stable this hack will be. Has it worked out well for you, is there any tendency that the door tilts towards the front? We have the Gnedbys secured to the wall, of course :)
Thanks a lot for your input!
-Anne
P.S.: You have a lovely collection!

Adline Writes said...

Hi Anne,

Thanks for dropping by. Yes the doors are super heavy indeed! As a safety measure, we secured both gnedbys to the wall. This gives us peace of mind, otherwise there is a high risk of the shelves tipping over the front - scary!

Welcome 2019: Time to Grow

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so so excited for 2019 and everything that it'll bring. I'm starting the year with gratefulness for...