Saturday, November 30, 2013

Frugal tip: Kerabu kaki ayam (Malaysian chicken feet salad) recipe

Every time I buy a chicken at the supermarket, it will come with a pair of chicken feet, which is fine with me, because I love the stuff! A big bunch of chook feet has been sitting in my freezer for a while, taking up space, so I vowed to use them all up. 

kerabu kaki ayam
Here's what I made with them. Check out the recipe after the jump! 

Salad ingredients
10 chicken feet (boiled and flesh removed from bones - messy business!)
Handful of coriander leaves (chopped)
1/2 medium red onion (sliced thinly)
1 red chilli (julienned)
1 cup of carrot, shaved with a peeler
1 tomato (cubed)
* Feel free to add any other vegetable you like, this was all I had in the fridge :)

Dressing
2 tablespoons fish sauce
1 teaspoon belacan
2 tablespoons kerisik
1 teaspoon sugar
4 tablespoons lime juice
1 tablespoon chilli sauce
* Combine all and mix well. Let it sit for a few minutes. Do adjust to suit your taste.

Method
1. In a large bowl, mix all the salad ingredients together. 
2. Then, add the dressing and mix again. 
3. Let the salad sit for a few minutes before you serve it. 
4. It will keep well in the fridge and taste fine the next day too.

Note: You can substitute the chicken feet with squid, which you must blanch and drain, before adding it to the salad.

No comments:

Welcome 2019: Time to Grow

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so so excited for 2019 and everything that it'll bring. I'm starting the year with gratefulness for...