Tuesday, June 9, 2015

Homemade okonomiyaki - so easy!


Okono

So, I recently discovered an awesome YouTube channel called Waoryu Only In Japan, and have been binge-watching episodes over the past few days. And somehow, as a result, I developed an intense craving for Japanese street food... especially after the Dotonburi and Hirohima Okonomiyaki lunch experiment episodes! I decided that I HAD to make some Okonomiyaki, and so I YouTubed a few recipes to see if I could make it at home. To my delight, okonomiyaki IS very easy to make and I had all the ingredients on hand, except for dashi and bonito flakes. But, as always, I improvised and the results was just as delicious.

Check out my recipe after the jump...

Serving: 1 large okonomiyaki for 1-2 people

Pancake ingredients
1 cup finely-chopped cabbage
3/4 cup flour (I used self-raising)
1 egg
1/2 cup water
Salt
1/2 teaspoon ikan bilis powder
* Extra ingredients - basically anything you want to add, like chopped shrimp/sausage/cold cuts etc

Okonomiyaki sauce
2 tablespoons worcestershire sauce
1 tablespoon ketchup
1 teaspoon honey
Japanese mayonnaise (do not mix with the above)

Method
1. Mix the pancake ingredients together into a batter
2. Heat some oil in a frying pan
3. Once the pan is hot, pour the pancake batter in
4. Once the pancake has firmed up a bit, push the sides in with a spatula
5. When one side is done, flip the pancake
6. When both sides are done, turn off the heat and slide the pancake onto a plate
7. Spread the okonomiyaki sauce on top and squeeze on some Japanese mayo
8. Lastly, garnish with spring onions and bonito flakes

Enjoy!
Like my content? Tip me!

No comments:

Welcome 2019: Time to Grow

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so so excited for 2019 and everything that it'll bring. I'm starting the year with gratefulness for...