Tuesday, June 22, 2010

The A-Team

I went to see the A-Team movie yesterday with pretty high expectations. Growing up in the 80s, it was pretty much my favourite TV show (I'm sure you 30 and 40 somethings out there can relate) and believe it or not, I had a crush on Captain Murdoch as a little girl.

The first 15 minutes of the movie was really promising, and I enjoyed it a lot, but things kind of went downhill from there. Don't get me wrong, I think the actors did a good job. Bradley Cooper is the perfect pretty boy to play Face, and Quinton Jackson did okay as B.A. Baracus. As for my beloved Captain Murdoch, I found Sharlto Copley (who for a while there I believed to be the lost Wilson brother i.e. Owen, Luke and Andrew..) to be pretty entertaining, and Liam Neeson can't do wrong in my eyes, so yeah, I liked his Hannibal. I thought Patrick Wilson made a great baddie, and though I have nothing against Jessica Biel, I felt she didn't bring much to the movie other than her voluptuous lips.

I realise now that the original show was rather tacky and sexist, and though I'm a big supporter of girl power, somehow I felt like they should have kept it that way. As Dirk Benedict, the original Face once described it, the A-Team was the sort to "kiss the girls and make them cry." It's like listening to Def Leppard's Hysteria album, it's all very masculine, and there's nothing wrong with that I think. Biel's pout notwithstanding, the real fault of the movie was probably the storyline. I didn't care too much about it. So someone's going to print illegal US currency... big deal, as if they're not already flooding the market with it themselves. Hello inflation!

But, back to the movie... the action was thrilling at times, but kind of 'meh' in others. I don't regret watching it though, I still love the A-Team. I just hope they do a better job with the story next time.

No comments:

Welcome 2019: Time to Grow

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so so excited for 2019 and everything that it'll bring. I'm starting the year with gratefulness for...