Sunday, June 10, 2012

Compost Diary part 3

Okay, so about 3 weeks ago, I started using my BioSense Kitchen Waste Composter. At the end of week one, I buried my fermented compost indoors in a small plastic container for about 2 weeks. I've been too busy to check on its progress, but today I finally got the chance to see if it worked as it should. The verdict is (drum roll please)... IT WORKED!

See? All the gross-looking fermented waste has disintegrated into the soil! Voila! Best of all, throughout the 'burying' process, there was no smell whatsoever.


The only thing that didn't disintegrate was this mango seed, but I expected that and put it in anyway just to see what would happen.

This is actually amazing stuff, because the fermentation process sped up the decomposition of my solid kitchen waste. If I were to bury my kitchen waste straight into the soil without first fermenting it with the catalyst (which contains effective microorganisms or EM), it wouldn't disintegrate so quickly, and would probably smell awful and attract pests. Now I have nice, nutrient-rich 'soil' that's ready to be added to my potted plants :) 

My kitchen composting experiment proves that you don't need a backyard or garden to compost your kitchen waste. A flower pot or plastic bin will do. I got this tall plastic container from Ikea and its 'footprint' occupies just 1/3 of a 1sq/ft tile. Doesn't take up much space at all! 

If you'd like to try your hand at composting your kitchen waste, you can get your kitchen composting kit from BioSense. Who says Malaysians can't compost?

3 comments:

WarakyangIndah :) said...

Im very happy to hear that. Hope it will motivate you keep on doing your own nutrious compost. I will share more tips later. Rokiah

SweetRoz said...

I stumbled upon ur blog while searching for the Biosense kitchen waste compost I saw in a gardening magazine recently. I wanted so much to do kitchen waste composting for so long but didn't know the correct way. Currently I bury my kitchen waste (minus the animal parts - chicken fat, fish guts and all) Now I've got testimony from someone who has tried it! Doesn't seem that complicated. Can't wait to try it and finally get to make my vegetable garden healthier :

Adline Writes said...

Hi Roz! Thanks for your message! You should definitely try the BioSense way of composting. Just out of curiosity, how long does it take for your kitchen waste to decompose when you bury it without the help of a catalyst?

Welcome 2019: Time to Grow

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so so excited for 2019 and everything that it'll bring. I'm starting the year with gratefulness for...