Thursday, October 10, 2013

Project sawi bonanza: Sawi soup

I love vegetables, but I must confess that I'm not a big fan of a green we here call "sawi" (mustard greens). I've never actually bought it and cooked it for my family, in like, ever. But yesterday, my neighbour, Mr Lee, dropped by and gave us a HUGE bunch of sawi that he had harvested at his farm. Not one to be unappreciative of free produce, I shall make it my mission to use this wonderful sawi bonanza and share with you all the sawi recipes that I can come up with.

Sawi
Sawi bonanza! There's like 2 kgs of it here! If your sawi has wilted a bit, just soak it in cold water after you've chopped it up. It will be crisp again in no time. 

Sup sawi
My first "project sawi bonanza" recipe - Sawi soup! Here's how you make it:



Sup sawi / Mustard green soup recipe

Ingredients
A bunch of sawi - chopped to desired size (discard the lower parts of the stalk)
Some carrot - sliced thinly
1 firm tofu - cut into small pieces
1 cup of small fish balls

Aromatics
1 tablespoon chopped red onion
1/2 tablespoon chopped garlic
1/2 red chilli - julienned

Others
A dash of sesame seed oil
2 tablespoons cooking oil
1 Knorr ikan bilis stock cube*
Water (As much as you need to cover the greens)
Salt to taste
Sugar to taste (optional)

Method
1. Saute onion, garlic and red chilli in oil until fragrant.
2. Add water and stock cube, and let it boil.
3. Once the water starts boiling, add all the other ingredients.
4. After a few minutes, turn off the heat. Don't overcook the greens!

* I used the stock cube because I didn't have ikan bilis on hand, otherwise, you can use a handful of washed ikan bilis, that has been pulverised a bit in a pestle and mortar to release its flavour. 

No comments:

Welcome 2019: Time to Grow

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so so excited for 2019 and everything that it'll bring. I'm starting the year with gratefulness for...