Friday, January 3, 2014

Making pickled veges

I'm now 16 weeks pregnant and thank goodness my appetite has improved for the most part. I don't gag at the smell of food anymore and I can keep what I eat down now. Still, I'm becoming a very picky eater. It seems my baby likes vegetables, so I'm always craving veges! To help with my vege + sour cravings, I made some vege pickles today! It's super easy to make! Here's what I used - Japanese cucumber, a carrot and a yellow onion. Check out the recipe after the jump!

Pickled veges by adline✿makes
Pickled veges, a photo by adline✿makes on Flickr.

First, I chopped up the veges, along with some red chillies, garlic cloves and some ginger. 
Pickled veges by adline✿makes
Pickled veges, a photo by adline✿makes on Flickr.

Then, in a pot, I simmered 3 cups of water and added 1 teaspoon of salt, 3 tablespoons of sugar and a generous dash of white vinegar. Once the mixture started boiling, I added the veges, gave a good mix and turned off the heat. I removed the pot from the heat and let it cool 30 minutes.
Pickled veges by adline✿makes
Pickled veges, a photo by adline✿makes on Flickr.

After 30 minutes and the veges have cooled, I stored them in jars and put them in the fridge! So yummy! Next time, I'd like to add cauliflower to my pickle :)

I learnt to make this pickle via Coles' (Australia) YouTube channel, which features Curtis Stone. I do love his cooking tips, he's an excellent presenter :) Check out his "How to make pickles" video:

No comments:

Welcome 2019: Time to Grow

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so so excited for 2019 and everything that it'll bring. I'm starting the year with gratefulness for...