Friday, October 6, 2017

Fun with Shaving Cream: Sensory Play

I want to let you in on a secret... I love messy sensory play as much as Arif does! And playing with shaving cream has got to be one of our favourite sensory activities. For one thing, it's fun and as a mum, I am happy to say that it's 'clean.' By this, I mean there's hardly any mess and the residue is easily washed off!

There are several ways you can play with shaving cream, but this time round, we decided to give Arif's dinosaurs a foam bath :) Though it all seems like child's play, to me it's significant that Arif can play with shaving cream, because in the past, he hated touching anything that was wet and sticky. Over time, however, therapies have helped him to feel more at ease with these textures.

IMG_20170928_151119_526
All that we needed was a large tray, some dinosaurs, shaving cream and a sponge. The sponge is there so that Arif can clean off the dinos.

IMG_20170928_150609
The sponge is also handy for applying the foam onto your hair!


IMG_20170928_155442
I also used the shaving foam to attract Arif's attention to my face and encourage him to make eye contact. I would dab some on my nose, cheeks and forehead, and he would look at me puzzled :)

If your kids haven't tried playing with shaving cream, give it a go! It also makes a good play date/ group activity, like you see below:


While shaving cream is fun already on its own, you can always flex those creative muscles and add a bit more interest. Here are some suggestions from Simple Fun For Kids :)

No comments:

Welcome 2019: Time to Grow

Happy New Year everyone! I'm so so excited for 2019 and everything that it'll bring. I'm starting the year with gratefulness for...